Braunhubergasse 7 (Synagogue association) - 11th district Simmering

Synagogue built in: 1898-1899
Earliest record of community: 1848
Community members: 1857 - 92; 1880 - 372; 1900 - 541
Pogrom Night: Burnt down
Summary: The Tempelverein Simmering was established in 1891 with the purpose of building a synagogue for the Jewish population of the 11th district for whom the room at 111 Hauptsrasse in Simmering had become too small and cramped. The synagogue in the Braunhubergasse was built in cooperation with the Kultusgemeinde (general community) of Vienna, under whose auspices the Simmering community had lived from 1890.

The architect Jakob Gartner designed the building in emulation of that of the Humboldtgasse but without the cupola and onion-shaped towers. The attractive interior held 249 seats for men and the galleries 133 for women. The rabbi was Dr. Armin Abeles and the cantor Moritz Harendorf.

On November 10, 1938 the synagogue was set on fire by the S.S. and in December of the same year the ruins were cleared away. The site was utilized by the Nazi party for their own organizational needs. The former cantor Harendorf and his wife were taken to Theresienstadt in 1942, from where they were deported to Auschwitz and murdered in 1944.
Sources: - Genée, Pierre, Wiener Synagogen 1825-1938, Wien, 1987 S. 81
- Dokumentationsarchiv des österreichischen Widerstandes (Hg.), Gedenken und Mahnen in Wien 1934-1945. Gedenkstätten zu Widerstand und Verfolgung, Exil, Befreiung, Wien 1998, S.238
- Exenberger, Herbert: „Die Reichskristallnacht“ und die Geschichte der Juden in Simmering, in: Simmeringer Museumsblätter, Heft 29/30, September 1988
- Exenberger, Herbert, „Die Synagoge in der Braunhubergasse 7“, in: http://at.indymedia.org/mod/comments/display/33381/index.php
Located in: Vienna