Gattendorf

Summary: The Jewish community in Gattendorf, referred to as “Kotendorf” by Jewish sources, had a synagogue in 1806. In 1862 this synagogue was rebuilt, a Jewish school was established, and a Jewish cemetery and a mikvah were installed.

The Gattendorf Jews had their own rabbi until their community was affiliated with that of nearby Kittsee in 1885. Thereafter the Gattendorf Jews had only their own shochet (kosher butcher).

Though the Gattendorf synagogue remained in use until 1938, for the last 20 years of its use it remained in a very bad state of repair, as was described by Leopold Moses in 1927. Despite this, the building outlasted the Nazi period in its neglected state, and was finally demolished only in 1996.
Located in: Burgenland