Neulengbach

Summary: Several Jewish families settled in Neulengbach as early as 1310. They built a small building to serve as a prayer hall in the yard of a house at 37 Wienerstraße. This synagogue, which was built in Gothic style, still exists today. The existence of a synagogue was mentioned in an inventory register of the Neulengbach area written in 1674.

Thirty-eight Jews lived in Neulengbach in 1890. Records indicate that there were 36 community members in 1910, eight of whom lived in nearby Grossweinberg, whose Jews were affiliated with the Neulengbach community. Another four community members lived in Haag. In 1921, a prayer hall was established in a peasant house near Deix in Grossweinberg. The prayer hall’s address was plot 2, Grossweinberg.

A Jewish cemetery was inaugurated in 1871, but most of it was destroyed during World War II. The Neulengbach Jews who could not save themselves were deported by the Nazis.
Sources: - Genée, Pierre, Synagogen in Österreich, Wien 1992
- Gold, H., Geschichte der Juden in Österreich, Tel Aviv 1971
- Dr. L. Moses, Die Juden in Niederösterreich, Wien 1935