Hollabrunn (Districts Göllersdorf, Grund, Hadres, Hangsdorf, Kalladorf, Mailberg, Retz, Schöngrabern, Wullersdorf)

Synagogue built in: Eighties of the 19th Century
Earliest record of community: 1876
Last rabbi: Dr. Moritz Rosenmann
Community members: 1938 - 420
Pogrom Night: Expropriated
After 1945: Returned to the Jewish community of Vienna; sold to local administration
Today: Apartment building
Summary: A Jewish community existed in Hollabrunn and its environs in the 17th century. At that time, 11 Jewish families lived in Sitzendorf, which was part of the same district.

In the mid-19th century, after the ban on Jews living in the Austrian provinces of Austria had been lifted, Jews moved back to Hollabrunn. The majority of the newcomers hailed from Bohemia. The fledgling Jewish congregation founded a chevra kadisha (burial society) and, in 1876, bought a plot of land for a cemetery on the road to Sonnberg. At that time the community still had the status of a Kultusgenossenschaft (Jewish association) which was affiliated with the larger Kultusgemeinde (Jewish congregation) of Horn. It was only in 1901 that the independent Kultusgemeinde of Hollabrunn was established.

A synagogue was erected at 9 Winniwarter Straße as early as the 1880s.
Its great prayer hall took up the entire first floor of the building. The extension of the Jewish cemetery in 1909 indicates that there had been a steady increase in membership of the Hollabrunn congregation.

The community was served by rabbis from other congregations. Dr. Moritz Rosenmann from Vienna-Floridsdorf was the last rabbi to serve in Hollabrunn before the community’s destruction in 1938.

In the wake of the “Anschluss” (annexation of Austria by Germany) in 1938, the Jewish population of Hollabrunn were humiliated and mistreated. The synagogue and all Jewish property were expropriated. In September 1938, all Hollabrunn’s Jews were forced to leave town. Those who could not flee abroad immediately moved to Vienna; some did not manage to emigrate and were eventually deported to concentration camps.

After World War II, the former synagogue was returned to the post-war Kultusgemeinde of Vienna, which sold the building to the Hollabrunn town council. The council converted the former synagogue into a residential building.
Sources: - Genée, Pierre, Synagogen in Österreich, Wien 1992
- Gold, Hugo, Geschichte der Juden in Österreich, Tel Aviv 1971
- Gollonitsch, Ulrike, “Als wär’ nichts geschehen” Die jüdische Gemeinde in Hollabrunn, Wien 1990
- Eberl, G., Die Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Horn und die Geschichte des provisorischen Bethauses in Retz, in: Das Waldviertel Heft 3/1993