Neufeld an der Leitha

Summary: The small Jewish community in Neufeld an der Leitha, a town in the Burgenland province of modern-day Austria, had its own synagogue in the 17th century. In 1667, however, the synagogue building was converted into a Catholic church. When this church was rebuilt in 19th century, Hebrew inscriptions were discovered on its walls.

In the 1730s, Jews were expelled from Neufeld and their community was dissolved. Those who left the town found refuge in nearby Mattersdorf and strengthened the Jewish community there. Some Jews resettled in Neufeld in the second half of the 19th century.  

In March 1938, the month in which Austria was annexed to Nazi Germany, the local synagogue in Neufeld was closed down. At that time, six Jewish families still lived in the town.

In 1941, 41 Austrian Jews were brought to Neufeld and forced to work as slave laborers for a textile firm, Hanf-Jute Textilindustrie AG.
Located in: Burgenland