Vienna - Prayer rooms

Summary: 1st District, Inner City

Name: Kehillath Jakob (Community of Jacob)
Address: 11Judengasse
Founded: 6/2/1929
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom


Name: Machsike Hadas (Holders of the Faith)
Address: 2 Lazenhof
Founded: 4/1/1901
Rabbi 1932: Siegmund Fürst
Last Rabbi: Dr. Neuwirt
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom


Name: Machsike Torah (Holders of the Torah)
Address: 6 Schönlaterngasse
Founded: 10/1/1887
Rabbi 1932: S. Neuwirth
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom



2. Bezirk Leopoldstadt
2nd District Leopoldstadt


Name: Even Haboinim (Stone of the Builders)
Address: 11 Ausstellungsstrasse
Founded: 10/26/1934


Name: Or Torah (Light of the Torah)
Address: 4 Czerninplatz


Name: Jeschias Achim (Salvation of Brothers)
Address: 21 Darwingasse
Founded: 1/24/1923
Last Rabbi: Chaim Pinter
Other Information: an association for caring for the sick


Name: Prater Prayer House Association
Address: 17 Ennsgasse
Last Rabbi: Nuchim Kornmehl


Name: Chassidim of Sandzer Klaus (Followers of the Rabbi of Sandz, Galicia)
Address: 9 Flossgasse
Founded: 3/1/1933
Last Rabbi: David Halberstamm
After 1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom


Name: Ohel Jakob (Tent of Jacob)
Address: 9 Flossgasse
Last Rabbi: Jehuda Meier Ginzberg


Name: K'hal Chassidim (Community of the Chassidim)
Address: 2 Franz-Hochedlingergasse
Founded: 5/7/1920
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom


Name: Chessed schel Emes (True Charity)
Address: 8 Franz-Hochedlingergasse
Founded: 7/19/1919


Name: Mikdosch M'at (Small Temple)
Address: 8 Franz-Hochedlingergasse
Founded: 7/28/1898
Last Rabbi: Moses Blech
Other Information: formerly located in 4 Schüttgasse


Name: Lewias Chen (Grace)
Address: 2 Hollandstrasse
Founded: 1888 by Salomon Triger
Last Rabbi: Naftali Hersch Schmerler
Other Information: seat of the Misrachi; the prayer house was formerly located in 2 Stephaniestrasse


Name: Marpe Lanefesch (Cure of the Soul)
Address: 4 Glockengasse
Founded: 4/14/1896
Rabbi 1932: David Friedmann
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
Other Information: an association for caring for the sick


Name: Zabner Klaus
Address: 12 a Malzgasse
Founded: 9/18/1919
Other Information: Bible and Talmud classes


Name: Torah Ez Chaim (Torah, Tree of Life)
Address: 8 Grosse Schiffgasse
Founded: 1886
in 1892 the front wing of the synagogue Schiffschul was altered and the Beth Hamidrasch (house of study) "Torah Ez Chaim" was installed and furnished
Rabbis: Sigmund Fürst, Josef Baumgarten, Meier Fleischmann (1932)
1938: in the November Pogrom the interior was destroyed
1949 the building was restored to the "Torah Ez Chaim" association; has been an orthodox prayer since 1945


Name: Bojaner Chassidim
Address: 13 Grosse Schiffgasse
Founded: 5/4/1929
Rabbi: Sternhall
Other Information: a charity organization

Name: Emes Weschulaum (Truth and Peace)
Address: 24 Grosse Schiffgasse
Founded: 12/9/1901
Last Rabbi: Markus Rosen
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
Other Information: a charity organization

Name: Oijse Chessed We-emes (Benevolence and Truth)
Address: 31 Grosse Sperlgasse

Name: Bobower Klaus
Address: 31 Grosse Schiffgasse
Founded: 11/24/1938
Other Information: religious instruction

Name: Machsike Hadath – Nachlath Jakob (Holders of the Faith - Inheritance of Jacob)
Address: 1 Haidgasse
Last Rabbi: Zacharias Edelstein
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
Other Information: Galician

Name: Agudas Achim (Society of Brothers)
Address: 6 Hammerpurgstallgasse
Founded: approx. 1930
Last Rabbi: Samuel Tauber

Name: Tomche Thora (Support of the Torah)
Address: 35 Heinestrasse
Founded: 11/12/1930
Last Rabbi: Israel Friedmann
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom
Other Information: private prayer room of Israel Friedmann, the Czortkower Rebbe; the prayer room was formerly located at 3 Rossauer Lände, 9th district; the funeral of the Rebbe took place on 12/3/1933

Name: Chassidim, Sadigorer Klaus
Address: 8 Herminengasse
Founded: 9/28/1983
Last Rabbi: Avraham Jakov Friedmann

Name: Meichisch Jeschua (Bringing on Salvation)
Address: 7 Josefinengasse
Founded: 3/23/1890
Last Rabbi: Samuel Hager
After 1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom

Name: Gemilath Chessed (Charity)/ Belser Klaus
Address: 18 Lilienbrunngasse
Last Rabbi: Chajim Heinrich Neuwirth

Name: Prayer House of the Jewish Tradesmen
Address: 1a Malzgasse
Founded: 1872
Last Rabbi: Mordko Gerstel
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom

Name: Beth Hamidrasch Talmud Thora
Address: 16 Malzgasse
Association founded: 1854
In 1884 the prayer house was erected; in 1906, new building for the "Talmud Torah" elementary school
Last Rabbi: Hermann Schenk
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
in 1955 the building was returned to the former Talmud Torah Association and a Talmud Torah School was established by the Machsike Hadass Association

Name: Ezra Israel (Help for Israel)
Address: 13 Novaragasse
Last Rabbi: Samuel Alter

Name: Beth Jakob Josef (House of Jacob and Josef)
Address: 40 Novaragasse
Founded: 12/12/1928
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom
Other Information: a social club

Name: Ansche Dath wu Zedek (Men of Faith and Justice)
Address: 1 Obere Donaustrasse
Founded: 1/28/1903
Last Rabbi: M. Gottesmann
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
Other Information: records mention various addresses for this prayer house: 3 Traunfelsgasse, 20th District; 2 Gaussplatz, 20th District

Name: Tomche Torah (Support of the Torah)
Address: 17 Obermüllergasse
Rabbi: Abraham Twersky

Name: Misrachi - National Association Austria
Address: 60 Praterstrasse
Last Rabbi: Dr. Josef Babad
Other Information: central office of the Misrachi Assocation


Name: Bikur Cholim B'ne Ascher (Visiting the Sick, Sons of Asher)
Address: 18 Rembrandtstrasse
Founded: 6/8/1923
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Achdus Israel (Unity of Israel), also called the "Rembrandt Temple"
Address: 32 Rembrandtstrasse
Founded: 3/4/1889
Last Rabbi: Dr. Kramer, Dr. Joel Pollak
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
Other Information: today a factory

Name: Ojse Chesed (Charity)
Address: 5 Schiffamtsgasse
Founded: 1/24/1891 by Otto Liebling and Alexander Scherer
Rabbi: Eisik Rubinstein
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom. Interior was burned out by 9:15 am.
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Agudas Stretyner Chassidim
Address: 12 Schreigasse
Founded: 1/18/1923
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom

Name: Tefilath Jeschurun (Prayer of the Jews)
Address: 14 Sebastian Kneippgasse
Founded: 6/16/1911
Last Rabbi: Moses Zikier
Cantors: Hermann and Ernst Goldstein Other Information: 1919: 310 members

Name: Petach Tikwah (Door to Hope)
Address: 1 Stuwerstrasse
Founded: 4/6/1934

Name: Beth Josef (House of Joseph)
Address: 10 Stuwergasse
Rabbi: Josef Steinberg

Name: Prater Charity Organization
Address: 48 Stuwerstrasse
Last Rabbi: Nuchim Kornmehl, Samuel D. Babad

Name: Montefiore
Address: 38 Taborstrasse
Founded: 1/13/1900
Last Rabbi: Rothschild
Other Information: the prayer house was formerly located at 10 Rotensterngasse

Name: Achwa Wereuth (Brotherhood and Friendship)
Address: 59 Taborstrasse
Founded: 6/2/1901
Last Rabbi: Aron L. Arak
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Esrath Jisroel (Help for Israel)
Address: 17 Tandelmarktgasse
Founded: 7/19/1907
Last Rabbi: Meier Ginzberg
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Scheeris Israel (The Remainder of Israel)
Address: 35 Untere Augartenstrasse
Founded: 11/4/1931

Name: Beth Jitzchak (House of Isaac)
Address: 21 Wohlmutstrasse
Founded: 5/28/1932
Last Rabbi: Berisch Hager


3rd District Landstrasse

Name: Israelitischer Bethausverein (Israelite Prayer House Association)
Address: 15 Erdbergstrasse
Founded: 11/10/1885
Rabbi: Dr. Bernhard Templer (1932)
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom
Other Information: an affiliated Talmud Torah School

Name: Schomer Israel (Guardian of Israel)
Address: 40 Hetzgasse (in the courtyard)
Founded: 6/3/1897
Last Rabbis: Moses Horowitz (1932), Hanoch Taube
1938: destroyed in the November Pogrom

Name: Oseh Tow (Doing Good Deeds)
Address: 6-8 Obere Weissgerber Strasse, later 27 Radetzkystrasse
Founded: 10/23/1895

Name: Upper Landstrasse
Address: 18 Steingasse
Founded: 3/23/1933
Last Rabbi: Hanoch Taube
1938: dissolved before November 1938, but destroyed in the pogrom. The Prayer House was burned at 12.58 am.

Name: Thorat Emet (Truth of the Torah)
Address: 8 Untere Viaduktgasse


4th District Wieden

Name: Machsike Thora (Holders of the Torah)
Address: 83 Wiedner Hauptstrasse
Founded: 1868
Last Rabbi: Aron Jeruchim
1938: dissolved before November 1938, but destroyed in the pogrom.

6th District Mariahilf

Name: Ahavat Achim (Brotherly Love)
Address: 42 Millergasse
Founded: 1923


7th District Neubau

Name: Jewish Association Neubau
Address: 67 Kaiserstrasse
Founded: 12/13/1924
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom
Previous Address: Schottenfeldgasse 60

9th District Alsergrund

Name: Ohel Moshe (Tent of Moses)
Address: 31 Badgasse
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom

Name: Beth Hamidrasch Ohel Avraham
(House of Learning, Tent of Abraham)
Address: 28 Grüne Thorgasse
Founded: 4/7/1902 by Samuel Brunner
Last Rabbis: M. Fleischmann (inter-war period); Moses Blech
Name: Tifereth Israel (Glory of Israel)
Address: 121 Liechtensteinstrasse
Founded: 1/26/1938
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Beth Jakob (House of Jacob)
Address: 24 Müllnergasse
Last Rabbi: Moses Leib Fränkel

Name: Private Prayer House of Great Rabbi Israel Friedmann of Husiatyn
Address: 14 Nußdorferstrasse
Last Rabbi: Israel Friedmann

Name: Adass Jeschurun (Community of Jews)
Address: 5 Pfluggasse
Founded: 9/28/1899 by Moritz Gang
Last Rabbi: Sigmunt Benedikt
Name: Esras Isroel (Help for Israel)
Address: 5 Stroheckgasse
Founded: 3/12/1924
Last Rabbi: Samuel Alter
After 1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom
Other Information: Charity Organisation

10th District Favoriten

Name: Ansche Emes (Men of Truth)
Address: 106 Favoritenstrasse
Founded: 6/25/1900
Last Rabbi: Seew Wolf Gottlieb
Other Information: On the 10th of November 1938, Rabbi Gottlieb saved the Torah scrolls of both prayer rooms (Favoritenstrasse and Rothenhofstrasse)

Name: Newe Schalom (Home of Peace)
Address: 22 Rothenhofstrasse
Founded: 2/21/1929
Last Rabbi: Seew Wolf Gottlieb

13th District Hietzing

Name: Hietzing Prayer House Association
Address: 132 Penzingerstrasse
Founded: before 1904
1938: dissolved just before the November Pogrom
Other Information: maintained by the Hietzing Synagogue Association; 130 seats; 1926 - inauguration of the synagogue at 22 Eitelberggase

14th District Penzing

Name: Auhawe Israel (Love for Israel)
Address: 40 Sturzgasse

16th District Ottakring

Name: Ahawath Scholaum (Love of Peace)
Address: 5 Lindauergasse
Last Rabbi: Markus Leib Habermann

Name: Scheweth Achim (Tribe of Brothers)
Address: 64 Neulerchenfelder Strasse
1938: destroyed and set on fire in the November Pogrom
Other Information: Oskar Sussmann was able to save one of the ten Torah scrolls and sent it to America by ship.

17th District Hernals

Name: Gemilath Chesed (Benevolence)
Address: 8 Thelemanngasse
Founded: 1929
Last Rabbi: Markus Leib Habermann
1938: the prayer house had already been destroyed by 6 am on November, 10th, 1938.

20th District Brigittenau

Name: Tomchei Jeschurun (Support for the Jewish People)
Address: 1 Allerheiligengasse
Founded: 3/11/1925
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom
Name: Private Prayer House of Rabbi Eisig Hager
Address: 20 Bäuerlegasse
Founded: 1934
Last Rabbi: Eisig Hager
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Agudas Jeschurim (Association of the Jewish People)
Address: 4 Gaussplatz
Founded: 11/17/1927
1938: dissolved before the November Pogrom

Name: Schomre Habrith (Guardians of the Covenant)
Adress: 20 Heinzelmanngasse
Former Address: 4 Hannovergasse
Founded: 1/2/1926
Other Information: charity organization

Name: Prayer House Association of the Brigittenau Zionist District Branch
Address: 30 Jägerstrasse
Name: Jeschioth Chaim (Salvation Towards Life)
Address: 1 Karl-Meißl-Straße
Founded: 8/13/1928
Last Rabbi: Chaim Pinter

Name: Ansche Emuna (Men of Faith)
Address: 2 Karl-Meißl-Straße
Founded: .9/12/1929
Last Rabbi: Israel Rabin

Name: Bene Brith (Sons of the Covenant), nicknamed Kaschlschul
Address: 20 Karajangasse, from 1931: 4 Kaschlgasse
Founded: 7/14/1906
1931 the association moved to the newly errected community center at 4 Kaschlgasse
Rabbi: Moses Horowitz
1938: devastated in the November Pogrom
Today an apartment building and a supermarket are located on the site of the former prayer house.

Name: Zwischenbrücken Prayer House Association
Address: 1 Mortaraplatz
Founded: 4/11/1929
Other Information: an association for caring for the sick

Name: Schomre Hadath (Guardian of the Faith)
Address: 34 Othmarstrasse
Founded: 7/20/1911
Last Rabbi: Verschon Hager

Name: Private Prayer House of Rabbi Schalom Hager
Address: 14 Staudingergasse
Last Rabbi: Schalom Hager

Name: Temicho uwikur Cholim (Supporting and Visiting the Sick)
Address: 7 Treustraße
Founded: 1920 by Jakob Schaffer
Last Rabbi: Gerschon Hager
Other Information: an association for caring for the sick

Name: Bikur Werofe Cholim (Visiting and Curing the Sick)
Address: 7 Wolfsaugasse
Founded: 6/10/1922.
Other Information: an association for caring for the sick


22nd District Donaustadt

Name: "Kaisermühlen" Jewish Cultural Association
Address: 45 Schüttausstrasse
Founded: 1/11/1932
1938: the prayer house was destroyed on November, 10th, 1938 at 11:16 am
Located in: Vienna